Updated as of July 2022. Following Current Affairs notes are prepared by Shanza Faiq (47th CTP, CSS 2018 Topper, FSP).
Topics covered in this blog are-
- Hybrid Warfare
- UNSC’s Veto Power
- Pak-Afghan ties
- Analyzing Foreign Policy
- Geopolitical Trends in South Asia
- the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO)
Definition: Usage of kinetic and non-kinetic options to offset conventional power dynamics. Includes spreading disinformation, propaganda, economic coercion, backing proxy militia, cyberattacks to achieve strategic objectives.
Why is it used?
- Leads to de-stability, demoralization and disintegration.
- Used due to high cost of men and material.
- Ambiguity and deniability which means no fear of retribution
- Exercise subtle power
- Nuclear weapons have made conventional warfare riskier
- Keep Pakistan politically and economically unstable
- Domestic voting power for Hindutva intoxicated BJP
How does India use it?
- Spread propaganda and diplomatic sabotage; EU Disinfo Lab
- Funding and training of separatist militia
- Economic subversion by politicizing international bodies such as FATF
- UN Working Group on Enforced Disappearances
- Build narrative amongst Kashmiri Muslims that Pakistan is a failed state and that partition was a mistake
- Indian Muslims are superior to Pakistanis and Bangladeshis
- Impression that India wants peace but Pakistan army does – Musharraf 4’s point formula on Kashmir thwarted due to Army’s funding of 2008 Mumbai attack
- Portrayed that Pakistan’s defence spending is illogical as Pakistan needs to spend on development
- Exploiting Pakistan’s fault lines; Baluchistan and CPEC
- Linking Pakistan to Taliban at international level and saying Pakistan does not want peace
- FATF grey list
Cost to Pakistan:
- Prevents Pakistan’s rise in power of Kashmir
- Pressurizing Pakistan to settle on India’s terms in issues like Siachen and Sir Creek
- Economically destabilized and dependent, high defence budget, weak ties with USA
What can Pakistan do?
- Employ a well-calibrated strategy across every platform and understand nature of hybrid warfare
- Good governance based on deliverables
- Realize potential of CPEC
- Multilateralism based on sound and healthy bilateral relations
- Develop counternarrative to India’s ‘talks and terrorism cannot go side by side’
- Develop policy-based discussions between govt and media and have more English news channels to portray positive image of Pakistan
- Use civil society, media and academia
What have we done?
- UNGA unanimously adopted Pakistan’s draft resolution targeting disinformation