Federal Public Service Commission (FPSC), Islamabad – Revised Syllabus Scheme of CSS Competitive Examination for 2023
COMPULSORY SUBJECTS (600 MARKS)
|01.||English Essay | Syllabus||100|
|02.||English (Precis and Composition) | Syllabus||100|
|03.||GK1 (General Science and Ability) | Syllabus||100|
|04.||GK2 (Current Affairs) | Syllabus||100|
|05.||GK3 (Pakistan Affairs) | Syllabus||100|
|06.||Islamic Studies | Syllabus |
Comparative Study of Major Religions (for non-Muslims)
The written exam consists of twelve (12) papers. Out of which six (6) are compulsory papers and the remaining six (6) are optional papers. The qualifying marks for the compulsory papers are 40% and for the optional papers 30%. The three papers of General Knowledge (GK-1, GK-2 & GK-3) are to be passed collectively by scoring 120 marks from 300. In the written exam, there are 20 objective-type questions (MCQs) in each compulsory and optional paper except for the essay, applied mathematics, and pure mathematics papers.
The question paper in Islamic Studies or Comparative Study of Major Religions (for non-Muslims) is to be answered in English or Urdu only. Non- Muslim candidates may either opt Islamic Studies or Comparative Study of Major Religions as may suit to them.
OPTIONAL SUBJECTS (600 MARKS)
5 criteria you should keep in mind while choosing an optional subject.
- Your academic background.
- Personal interest and aptitude in the subject. — Higher interest > Ease at understanding concepts/ theories
- Overlap with other optional(s). — Like Political Science, Constitutional Law and Pakistan Affairs.
- Time required to complete the course outline. — Just because it takes less time that doesn’t mean it can sustain your interest for long.
- Resources availability in the market and on the internet. — No brainer, obviously if resources are not easily available it will cause pain.
Students must check the past papers and the course outline once before finalizing an optional subject. You may also consult others – friends, teachers and mentors. But ensure that the final decision is your own. Learn from but avoid blindly others while selecting your optional(s). Identify your own area of interest and choose accordingly.
Remember – don’t rush to change the optional if you do not fare well in the first attempt as many students do it. Instead, you should analyze your shortcomings and work on them to get better score in the next attempt.
Group — I: To select one subject of (200 marks) only.
|11.||Accountancy & Auditing||200|
Group — II: To select subject(s) of 200 marks only.
Group — III: To select one subject of 100 marks only.
|24.||Governance & Public Policies||100|
|25.||Town Planning & Urban Management||100|
Group — IV: To select one subject of 100 marks only.
|26.||History of Pakistan & India||100|
|27.||Islamic History & Culture||100|
|30.||History of USA||100|
Group — V: To select one subject of 100 marks only.
|33.||Agriculture & Forestry||100|
Group — VI: To select one subject of 100 marks only.
|41.||Muslim Law & Jurisprudence||100|
Group — VII: To select one subject of 100 marks only.
|45.||Journalism & Mass Communication||100|
The question papers in Urdu or other Pakistani regional languages (Punjabi, Sindhi, Pashto and Balochi), Persian and Arabic should be answered in the respective languages. However, question relating with translation from respective language into English or vice versa may be answered as directed in the question paper.
There will be two papers of 100 marks each of the subject which carry 200 marks. In other subjects of 100 marks there will be one paper. Each paper will be of 3 hours duration.
CSS 2023 — Related Links
- CSS 2023 MPT — Instructions
- CSS 2023 MPT — Course Outline & Notes
- CSS 2023 Written exams — Syllabus (Revised)
- Examiners’ Feedback on ‘Writing an Essay’
- CSS 2019 — FPSC Examiners’ Feedback
- CSS 2018 — FPSC Examiners’ Feedback
- CSS 2017 — FPSC Examiners’ Feedback
- CSS 2016 — FPSC Examiners’ Feedback
CSS 2023 SYLLABUS — DOWNLAD IN PDF FORMAT
- English Essay — Past Papers Analysis (CSS 2023)
- Islamic Studies — Past Papers Analysis (CSS 2023)
- Current Affairs — Past Papers Analysis (CSS 2023)
- Pakistan Affairs — Past Papers Analysis (CSS 2023)
- General Science and Ability — Past Papers Analysis (CSS 2023)
- English Precis and Composition — Past Papers Analysis (CSS 2023)